Sunday, September 29, 2013

Tsukishima, Tokyo Tower, Zojoji Temple, and Hamarikyu

The two international clubs, Niji no Kai and WIC, planned four different tours around Tokyo for the new international students. They were all at the same time, so you could only go to one of the four: 

1. Tokyo Tower & Tsukishima course
2. Ueno course
3. Sky tree & Asakusa course
4. Akihabara course

My friends and I picked the first tour because it seemed the hardest to do on our own. Our first stop, Tsukishima, is an area in Tokyo famous for its monjayaki. Monjayaki is a dish consisting of pan-fried batter and various other ingredients like meats and vegetables. You cook it yourself on the table (though the waiters often assist you) and you use a small spatula to eat it straight off the grill. It's very yummy but often leaves me hungry after eating it. We also ate okonomiyaki which is similar but differs in that it is less runny and is similar to the consistency of a pancake. 

(awaiting pictures from friends)

Monjayaki
Okomomiyaki
After the food, we headed to a different part of Tokyo where the famous Tokyo Tower is located (not to get confused with the Tokyo Skytree). I shouldn't have been surprised at the massive lines for the Tokyo Tower tickets and the separate line for the elevators but I wasn't expecting it to the extent it was. The 6 boys in our group braved the ~600 stairs to the top but the three girls in our group, including me, opted for the elevator.

 

As a Tokyo resident, I'm glad I saw it and experienced it; however, for someone traveling to Japan with limited time, I'd suggest you skip Tokyo Tower. I might be biased since I live next to the SkyTree but choosing between the two I'd go to the SkyTree and just view the Tokyo Tower from Roppongi Hills. 

Our next stop was Zojoji Temple which we quickly strolled though.

Our last stop was the Hamarikyu gardens. After a long day of walking, we all collapsed on the first space of grass we'd seen since coming to Tokyo.


Finally, my friend Katy (Chinese-Canadian) and I were so desperate for food and a seat that we sat on the steps in the subway by the trashcans and vending machines. 

We felt homeless. 
*sorry I don't know why half of the blog is highlighted. Can't figure out how to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment