Saturday, September 21, 2013

Buying a Phone at SoftBank - Ginza

For those of you who know me well, you know that I don't even feel comfortable going to the bathroom by myself. Living virtually by myself in Tokyo, however, has definitely pushed me to become more independent. Two days ago, I actually spent a whole day in Ginza completely on my own!

My main reason for going to Ginza (the high end shopping district of Tokyo) was to get an iPhone. Now, in America it takes about 20 mins to get a cellphone but with the extensive credit checks and other various forms to fill out, it took me 3 hours to get a phone in Japan. The odd thing is that I had a blast! The SoftBank room look similar to a cafe with multiple small, square tables and chairs. I was immediately offered a cold hand towel and a drink menu. Already so much better than standing at the AT&T store. While I sipped my iced green tea, I was given a small portable TV and an iPad to entertain myself with while the young Japanese employee filled out all my information. We talked about all the different shopping areas in Tokyo and she gave me great tips on department stores and boutique names. She also used gloves while handling my iPhone so it didn't get fingerprints on it. At the end of the meeting, I was given to cute SoftBank tote, notebook, and Mickey Moose phone chain.  



As someone who plans on pursuing a career in hospitality, I've noticed how important hospitality is in Japan and how it is at a much higher standard than America. The girl assisting me was constantly apologizing for the long wait, refilling my green tea, and making sure that I was entertained by their multiple devices.

After the SoftBank excursion and the purchase of a smartphone with a GPS, I was capable of exploring on my own. I followed the girl's instructions and ventured to the popular French department store, Printemps. Although I love French brands and French fashion, I quickly realized I'm not here to buy French things and I continued exploring the streets of Ginza. I ate lunch on my own in a small cafe and enjoyed the people watching (I was slightly disappointed at the masses of Western people in the area). Overall, I had a great day and enjoyed the time to myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment