Sunday, October 13, 2013

Ikebana: Shogo Kariyazaki

Last Saturday, I received free tickets from Waseda to go see an Ikebana exhibit by the famous Shogo Kariyazaki. Once we got to Meguro, I was blown away the number of Japanese women and men dressed in yukata (summer kimono) for the occasion. If not in traditional dress, women wore nice dresses and heels.

Picture of Shogo Kariyazaki
Photo by: http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/5th+International+Rome+Film+Festival+Opening+3OGbUIBCnOql.jpg
The exhibit was fantastic and definitely exceeded my expectations! But, we weren't allowed to take any pictures. The location, Meguro Gajoen, was a six story traditional Japanese building with tatami mats and beautiful carvings on the walls, ceilings, and pillars. Unfortunately all the information given on the building was in Japanese so I couldn't quite understand everything; however, I know that it is celebrating its 85th anniversary and they frequently conduct tours in English on the history of the building. Perhaps I'll go back for one!

Photo by: http://businesseventstokyo.org/unique/meguro-gajoen/
The ikebana itself was insane! It was art made from flowers and and other elements of nature, unlike anything I had ever seen before. There were tree stumps filled with colored twigs, beautiful branches, and rare flower species. The displays were huge and some took up the entire room. Yucca plants, painted roses, and exquisite dead tree branches were displayed among the seven exhibit rooms. This trip was a pleasant surprise and now I view ikebana in a whole different light!

A picture of my ticket stub. 



No comments:

Post a Comment